What’s a pop-up event without popcorn and fun! The University of Missouri-St. Louis and MU Extension are partnering for this FREE event to showcase health and well-being opportunities offered through the university.
LIST OF EVENTS (check back frequently for updates)
Noon Nutrition and cooking
MU Extension nutrition educators work with youth and adults throughout the state providing education and working with communities to promote healthy policies, systems and environments helping people make behavior changes to achieve lifelong health and fitness. Food and Nutrition Educators will provide healthy recipes and snacks and practical information about eating well on a budget at this session.
1:00 PM Community Building- Top 10 Principles!
You community makes a difference for well-being! Want to learn the skills necessary to make effective change within your community? Join UM Extension Community Development faculty for an interactive workshop exploring the basic principles of community building. This session will introduce participants to Community Development resources and opportunities that help build the skills needed to improve their communities.
2:00 PM Mental Wellness and Self-Care with Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health is a hot topic and can come with a lot of myths and misunderstandings. Join the Mental Health First Aid Missouri team to get some facts. Learn about signs and symptoms of mental health challenges that we can notice with ourselves and our neighbors. Develop your own robust self-care plan addressing the 8 dimensions of wellness. Participants will preview the full-day Mental Health First Aid and Youth Mental Health First Aid curricula and learn how to sign up for a free course.
3:00 PM Seated Stretch: Chair Yoga
Chair yoga is a gentle practice in which postures are performed while seated and/or with the aid of a chair. As with other forms of yoga, chair yoga can increase flexibility, strength and body awareness. Yoga instructor Katy Mike Smaistrla Lampe, UMSL Sustainable Energy & Environmental Coordinator, will guide participants through stretches and breathing exercises which can be done at home or work throughout the day to relax and refresh.
4:00 PM More than just Vision: how your EYES and overall health are connected
You may have heard the saying, “The eyes are the window to the soul!” While vision providers cannot quite see the soul during an eye exam, they can identify changes in your overall health that you may not be aware exist. Join UMSL Optometry to learn about how the eyes are connected to the health of the rest of your body!
From Noon to 5:00 PM throughout the afternoon, there will be ongoing activities including:
· Smoothie Bike – Join UM Extension Educators for an exciting interactive activity that combines fresh produce and physical exercise to make healthy and delicious smoothies.
· Blood pressure screenings – UMSL College of Nursing students and clinicians will be on-hand for screenings and to share information.
· Modified vision screenings – UMSL College of Optometry students and clinicians will provide information on eye health and conduct modified screenings.
· Soil sample demonstrations – Want a healthy, green lawn that will be the envy of the neighborhood? MU Extension can help! Learn how to take a soil sample and have it diagnosed by the University of Missouri at the Soil and Plant Testing Laboratory where they analyze soil, plant, water, manure, compost and greenhouse media. The laboratory provides quality testing and unbiased, research-based recommendations to clients for economically viable and environmentally safe nutrient management practices.
· Popcorn for community building – Enjoy a bag of popcorn and take one home to share with a neighbor. You can just “pop by” to say hello!
The first 100 attendees will receive a wellness box of fun and useful goodies and information to support health and well-being. This includes special bags of popcorn to promote neighboring and community action.