Small Businesses unable to afford legal advice at the market rate can participate in the Entrepreneurial Legal Services Clinic and Intellectual Property Clinic.
Both clinics, run by the School of Law at UMKC, provide students with an opportunity to receive training and experience working with small businesses under the direction of a faculty member, allowing them to offer affordable legal services to the community.
- Assistance in making a choice of entity
- Entity creation by drafting articles of incorporation and organization, by-laws and partnership agreements
- Contract review and drafting
- Advice and assistance concerning debt problems
- Review of lending contracts and loan advice
- Tax advice, especially about the importance of faithful payment of payroll withholding trust amounts and the consequences of failure to pay them
- Advice concerning compliance with consumer, licensing, and regulatory rules
- Copyright and trademark creation
- Incorporation, tax-exempt status [including 501(c)(3)] applications
The clinic serves new and established entrepreneurs (Missouri or Kansas residents). To be placed on the waiting list of clients, you must complete and return the application to the Entrepreneurial Legal Services Clinic.