The Kansas City Conducting Symposium runs from Sunday, June 18th to Thursday, June 22nd, 2023. Our guest clinician will be the esteemed Director of Bands at Northwestern University, Dr. Mallory Thompson!
What we do:
- During this time, Conducting Participants conduct the UMKC Conservatory Chamber Players and receive comments from our amazing KCCS clinicians. All Conducting Participants receive high-resolution videos of their conducting sessions.
- During breakout rooms, Conducting Participants and Auditors focus on technique and musicality in a reduced teacher:student ratio environment for a more individualized experience. The breakout room ensembles are comprised of UMKC Conservatory students and KCCS attendees. Symposium members will be expected to prepare these excerpts in advance and bring their own instruments. UMKC Bands may supply larger instruments upon inquiry.
- Our Special Topics sessions feature UMKC faculty members, guest clinicians, and other invited guests. Topics may include music history, wind instrument techniques, educational philosophy, composition, and any other pertinent subject matter.
- These sessions can take the form of panel discussions, lectures, interactive activities, and more.
- Each night, we designate a different local restaurant at which participants are welcome to gather and spend some time networking and getting to know each other. Restaurant locations and maps will be available at program check-in.