UniverCities Exchange is an ongoing collaborative project between UMKC and UMSL. The program gathers community leadership alongside academic expertise to discuss problems and possible solutions to issues affecting the Kansas City and St. Louis Metro Areas.
In this installment, we discuss urban vacancy and abandonment with leadership from a variety of sectors that are working on cutting-edge prevention and mitigation strategies. Hear their fresh ideas and respond to their call for collaboration across the Show-Me State.
This session is moderated by Sarah Fenske, Host of St. Louis on the Air, and panelists include:
- Nailah R. M’Biti, Chief Real Estate Development Officer, Ivanhoe Neighborhood Council;
- Peter Hoffman, Managing Attorney, Neighborhood Vacancy Initiative, Legal Services of Eastern Missouri;
- Brent Never, UMKC Associate Professor of Public Affairs;
- Sundy Whiteside, Board President, Saint Louis Association of Community Organizations;
- Geoff Jolley, Executive Director, LISC Greater Kansas City;
- Ruben Alonso III, President, Altcap; and,
- Neal Richardson, President, Dream Builders for Equity.
UniverCities Exchange launched in the fall of 2020, during the UM System Extension and Engagement Month, with a conversation on the health disparities being faced during the COVID-19 pandemic. We hope that convening these conversations provides a point of connection for future collaboration across the State of Missouri.